|Government||Constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary government|
|Population||127,463,611 (July 2006 est.)|
|Religion||Shinto and Buddhism (often both), Christian (0.7%)|
|Electricity||100V/50 or 60Hz (American plug)|
- Visitors from 59 countries can visit Japan without a visa, including most Western nations, and can obtain a 90-day "landing permission" on arrival (many European nationalities are permitted up to 180 days).
- Passport valid for the duration of intended stay in Japan required by all nationals.
- (a) 1. nationals of Austria, Germany, Ireland, UK (UK citizens), Liechtenstein, Mexico and Switzerland for a stay of up to 6 months*;
- (b) 2. nationals of all other EU countries not mentioned under (a) for a stay of up to 3 months (except persons whose passport was originally issued in present or former Portuguese colonial territories who do require a visa);
- (c) 3. nationals of Andorra, Australia, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Lesotho, Malta, Mauritius, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Surinam, Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay and the USA for a stay of up to 90 days;
- (d) nationals of Brunei for a touristic stay of up to 14 days.
Types of visa and cost
- Tourist visa: application to be obtained from the embassy of Japan on hand. The visas will be issued on the third day of submission of application.
- Business Visa: application to be obtained from the embassy of Japan on hand. The visas will be issued on the third day of submission of application.
- Employment Visa: application to be obtained from the embassy of Japan on hand. The visas will be issued on the third day of submission of application.
- Notes: As the type of documents required for the application may differ according to the purpose of your visit, the applicant is advised to check with the Japanese Embassy or consulate beforehand.
- Whether or not they hold a visa, visitors who do not possess visible means of support for their stay, onward or return tickets and other documents for their next destination may be refused entry.
Japan Embassies and/or Consulates
255 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9E6
2520 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington, DC 20008-2869
- This page is based on text from Wikivisa.org